
If you're like most normal Americans, you've found yourself thinking this very thought:
"What if Neil Young woke up from a series of disturbing dreams, and then to deal with these disturbing dreams he wrote a bunch of songs? Then, what if when he went to record these songs, he became frightened of what people would think when they heard it, so he hired someone else to sing them, and just did the guitar work? But what if he was unsatisfied with the sound, thinking it was missing something, so he brought in Jim O'Rourke to put his fingerprints on it (though O'Rourke too became frightened with the results and decided that while the whole thing was brilliant, he'd just assume leave his name off the project)? What would this album sound like?"
Well, at long last, we have our answer to this age old series of questions...Oakley Hall. And while all their photographs are conspicuously missing any signs of Neil Young or Jim O'Rourke, this music listener is not fooled in the slightest. Nor is he lacking excitement for this band. I've only heard the tracks they have available off their website from their most recent record, Second Guessing (of which there are three, and you can listen to here). Favorite track right now is "Landlord".
Also, if you don't want to go on my opinion alone, there's a review on Pitchfork.
4 comments:
I asked myself the same questions, what with the Neil Young nightmares and the O'Rourke additions and all that, and the answer I got for that sound was acctually the exact sound of The Ba Ha Men. Not so much "Who Let the Dogs Out", but their earlier grittier stuff. So I guess this new band must be pretty similar to that.
You know, once I move out of this den of sin and decadence, I'm going to miss all those early Ba Ha Men 7 inchers you have...
What was the deleted message?
Post a Comment