Music
Well, the Pazz & Jop poll came out. How did my top five fare?
1) The Hold Steady Boys and Girls in America ended up at #4 on the poll. This sort of sums up how I feel about the album. Yeah it was a great album, but not a Great album. It doesn't really deserve number one (and in a less off year, they would have probably not been my number one). #4 seems just right.
2) Sonic Youth Rather Ripped ended up #12. This is my favorite Sonic Youth album since Daydream Nation. This is a top five album, but it seems that many critics tempered their enthusiasm for this record. I'll admit that it loses a little steam by the end, but this has always been a problem for Sonic Youth. Only Daydream Nation remains vital through the whole disc. But they can put together stretches better than anyone. And I can't think of a better three song stretch than "Reena", "Incinerate", and "Do You Believe in Rapture".
3) Neko Case Fox Confessor Brings the Flood found its way to #8. There's been plenty of time to digest this album, and it only gets better with time. Case's enigmatic storytelling just gets more interesting with each listen, and that voice just tempers any frustration. If the year lasted another two months, it might have gotten even higher.
4) Jason Collett Idols of Exile was not ranked! Even High School Musical got a vote. So this album was not really on the radar this year. Which is too bad. Collett wrote some fine music and as a lyricist, he managed to be more interesting to me than the new Bob Dylan.
5) Beirut Gulag Orkestar ended up #74. Good for it...to be honest, I've cooled a little bit towards this album. While initially the foriegn sound exhilerated and demanded repeat listenings, it revealed itself to be two (maybe three) songs strong, and "Postcards From Italy" wears thin after too many listens. However, the Lon Gisland EP looks like Beirut might be going in a more interesting direction. One can hope...
As for this year's music, I've been digesting The Broken West's I Can't Go On, I'll Go On. It's got some catchy stuff and it's pretty easy to get into, but it's a bit disposable. Nothing's reeled me in yet. But I've said that before and eaten my words. So I'll give it a little time.
Well until next time, lick it up mutt, that's all you're getting for today...
No comments:
Post a Comment