Monday, January 09, 2006

Some stuff I thought of at work...

Whilst at work, I ranked two different things:

1) Odd jobs that you do when the place isn't busy...
2) Crazy customers...

I should explain that I work as a cashier/bagger at a grocery store. That's all I really needed to explain I suppose...anyway, the first ranking sort of explains itself, so here goes, from favorite to least favorite:

1) Returns (taking all the stuff that people decided they didn't want at the last minute and putting it back on the shelf). It's kind of like a scavanger hunt.
2) Filling Bags in parcel (taking the bags off the pallet and putting them onto the shelves we have in parcel) Good way to waste time
3) Get carts
4) Spot sweep (sweep up random stuff that falls onto the ground. Not really a job, more of a time waster).
5) Check supplies (check and see if all the registers have enough register tape, pens, ect.) You get to walk around the registers with a piece of paper...it looks semi-important
6) Garbages and recyclables. I hate this job...but not as much as...
7) Washing windows
8) Vaccuuming, only because the outlets are hard to reach.
9) Washing registers (the stuff we use to do it burns the skin)
10) Facing aisles (bringing stuff up to the front...so...fucking...pointless and boring, and it never ends)
11) Cleaning out the trays the collect detritus that falls under the belts. I've only had to do this once in five years working at the grocery store. You know why? Because it is pointless, and very hard to do. It was the brainchild of a crazy lady who was in charge at that time. I'm still a little bitter.

Crazy people...there are a couple regular crazies who do strange things and request odd things. Now, lots of people do stuff on occasion that makes me want to kill them...but it's not a pattern of behavior or anything. But these people have a pattern of behavior, and as soon as they walk in the store, every cashier is hoping they won't come into their line. This list is in order of most offensive to least offensive.

1) "Crazy double paper lady" Now, asking for double paper isn't that odd...however, insisting upon it to the cashier, and then yelling at the bagger several times during the order to double bag is...it is also crazy to do this every time you come in. In addition, it is crazy to ask if every sale item on the order was taken off. That is why you have a reciept...Then, insisting that a bagger come out to your car with you so you can yell at him while he puts things car not to your exact specifications is also quite crazy. Becoming angry when someone asks if you would like parcel pickup so the poor bagboy doesn't have to walk all the way to your car is just icing on the cake.

2) "Grandma & Grandpa Paper in Plastic" There is no stranger and more pointless bagging request than "paper inside of plastic". What the fuck does this accomplish? It is a complete and utter waste of a plastic bag, as the plastic bag only covers the bottom half of a paper bag? Is there a layer of water at the bottom of their trunk? These two, an apparently married couple are the only people in the entire fucking world stupid enough to insist on this bagging combination. In addition, these two, after the order is over, sit on a bench and go over their order line by line, and try to find mistakes. Each order they "find" about ten, of which none are actual errors. Now, do they take their complaints to the service desk? No, they come and accuse the cashier who checked them out each time...while they're with other customers, the cashier explaining each time that there wasn't an error. These people are number 2 only because they are overall friendly and do not yell at anyone.

3) "Service Desk Lady" has been a more recent development. She used to be more normal, but now hangs out at the service desk pointing out errors which don't exist with her order and yelling at people. Would rank higher if I had to deal with her...though I don't work the service desk. Last time she was in the store she sat at the service desk for an hour and a half.

4) "Crucifix Man" actually pretty inoffensive, except that he is legitimately mentally ill. Only difficult thing is that he refuses to speak to anyone. Carries around a crucifix, and points it at anyone who passes.

Yes, I have been working too much lately.

1 comment:

Blake Stockdale said...

You really dislike facing that much? That was easily my favorite thing about working at a grocery store. And yes I realize it is mostly pointless, but I enjoyed it as a form of meditation. I think it played into my anal nature. I was often criticized for taking fifty minutes to an hour facing an aisle, but you can be damn sure that that aisle was perfect when I got done. For me it was a feeling of accomplishment rivaled only by alphanetizing an entire shelf full of books or movies.

Secondly, crucifix man may not be mentally ill. It is possible that he is the survivor of a vampire attack. Recently after studying many horror themed graphic novels I am beginning to suspect that vampires may in fact exist. It is possible that this man suspects everyone of being a vampire because of the crucifix. This would also explain his refusal to talk to anyone... vampires are very crafty.

wired for sound and down with whatever