
Saw an article in the Village Voice about ICP and their connection to the Massachusettes gay bar massacre. This reminded me of a Frontline episode I once saw titled "The Merchents of Cool" (which you can watch in its entirety here).
The premise of the Village Voice article is that ICP bear some responsibility for the Massachusettes gay bar massacre because the young man responsible considered himself a "Juggalo", a term which has taken on a cult-like status. ICP's music, being violent as well as extolling the virtues of "being true to oneself" as well as exacting revenge on those who aren't, isn't all that special, if it wasn't for the "Juggalo" thing. According to the Village Voice, while ICP may believe they're just doing smart business, they are in actuality creating a type of cult, with all the responsibilities of a cult (a la Charles Manson).
I can't help thinking how much this article would have pissed me off in, say, 9th grade. In 9th grade I knew that this argument was bullshit. No one had influence on me, I liked something because I liked it, no advertisement would change my mind about anything. I was smarter than that. If 9th grade Zach wanted to wear windpants to school, goddammit, 9th grade Zach wore windpants to school! At least until he noticed everyone else was wearing jeans...
Now, I know this argument isn't complete bullshit. Exaggerated at times, sometimes misplaced, but violent/druggy/racist/sexist media does influence people (as does you know, other types of media). "The Merchents of Cool" really made me look hard at the people who were selling me entertainment. It's an eye opening experience to see how the hype machine works, how things become cool. In the end the whole business just seems sleazy. At a certain point, people need to come face to face with the fact that sometimes, we dance to the tune that was planned for us. This isn't always bad. I never would have listened to The Decemberists if Amazon.com hadn't recommended it to me. I really like the Decemberists.
But what about the morally reprehensible stuff? Oftentimes, the entertainment industry hides behind the first ammendment the same way the Michigan Militia hides behind the second ammendment. Both of them are legally in the right...but...what's behind it. Often times the entertainment industry says it's just fulfilling demand. However, it can't be ignored that oftentimes the entertainment industry manufactures cool for these types of things. Do we really want to hear Eminem describe the brutal murder of his wife? I don't...but there has been a manufactured cool built around it.
Now, I don't believe in regulation of the entertainment industry. What I think is much for useful is for people to understand that they are impressionable, and sometimes, we all dance to someone's preprogrammed tune. I also don't think artists should be able to say "Oh we had nothing to do with that". They are all, in part, responsible for the message they are putting out. If they are comfortable with their message so be it. But I don't think ICP should be able to exhonerate themselves completely. I hope, deep down, that they feel a little guilty. I think I'm probably asking too much though. They're con men...hell, millions of people think they can make music.
No comments:
Post a Comment