Thursday, February 02, 2006

Pazz & Jop


Village Voice just came out with their annual Pazz & Jop poll. I take an interest in this mostly just to see how my favorite albums (top 5) fared...and this is how they did, plus comments

# 1 - Bright Eyes I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, took 16th in the poll, which sort of makes up for Pitchfork's snub. Bright Eyes suffered a bit of backlash due to its popularity as well as the nakedness of the lyrics, but the album was a collection of 10 instant classics. I've said this before, but it's the first album since Beck's Odelay that I've known basicly every word to every song. People who gave this bad reviews are going to look mighty foolish in ten years. This is the first time I'm legitimately angry about something like this. There's no reason this shouldn't be in the top 5.

# 2 - The Hold Steady Separation Sunday took 8th in the poll. This I am not angry about. This makes me smile that The Hold Steady can get mad props and all.

#3 - Wolf Parade Apologies to the Queen Mary took 28th, which seems a bit low to me, but doesn't inspire wrath like the great Bright Eyes backlash.

#4 - Wilco Kicking Television tied for 90th with Devendra Banhart's Cripple Crow. No real complaints, I'm glad it got mentioned, it is a live album after all. Still, one of my favorite moments of the year.

#5 - Sufjan Stevens Illinois garnered 3rd place, and was the top singer-songwriter finisher. Alright, I have a bone to pick here. I love Illinois, it's a great album, worthy of accolades, but there is absolutely no frigging way it is better than I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. Stevens gets the higher marks because of his sophistication in relation to Bright Eyes. If I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is a high school diary, Illinois is The Brothers Karamazov. Critics feel better siding with the more sophisticated because it seems smarter. But look at what is better MUSIC, who's catchier, who lays the feelings bare, brings the visceral emotion to the forefront? Sufjan is sly, but in the end, not as effective as the blunt force of Bright Eyes. There seems to be this fear that siding with Bright Eyes will equate with siding with adolescent stupidity. But it's dishonest. Connor Oberst is more effective songwriter than Stevens, and he was robbed of proper accolades due to pure and simple pretentiousness. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is an album for the ages, Illinois is just a good album.

2 comments:

Aaron Burkhalter said...

I'm also quite sure that Sufjan Stevens has a hit out on any publication that doesn't put him in the top five. I have yet to see a critic that hasn't crumbled to his will. Hell, I'm afraid of him, that's the only reason he made my top 10... er wait... I mean... it was awesome! Love the album! Can't wait for the next 48 states! Great idea...

I'm going to erm... go... um... changemyidentity...

PLEASE DON'T HURT ME SUFJAN!

ZT Krugman said...

With Sufjan's violent nature and all, I hope he understands that I may have given him one the least insulting insults possible, by comparing Illinois to The Brothers Karamazov . But, since he's spent the last year bullying music critics...well, lets just say I don't normally keep that dresser in front of my door.

wired for sound and down with whatever